Street furniture and name plates

The term "street furniture" covers a vast array of equipment placed in, on, or over the highway for the safety and convenience of the public.

Typical items include:

  • bollards
  • railings
  • street lights
  • street name plates
  • traffic signals
  • traffic signs
  • benches/seats
  • salt bins
  • bus shelters
  • safety fences
  • barriers
  • pay and display machines
  • cycle racks

Street name plates

We have a duty to name streets and to erect and maintain street name plates.

However, when a road is built by a developer as part of a new development, the responsibility for the erection and maintenance of street name plates lies with the developer until the highway authority adopts the road.

Report damage to street furniture or street name plates

If you are aware of any damage to street furniture or name plates, please report it to us using our online form.

It will help us if you can provide as much detail as possible, such as:

  • street name and adjacent property number
  • item of furniture damaged
  • nature and extent of the damage
  • your name and contact number
Page last updated: 11 February 2019
Help us improve
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.

Traffic signals, road markings and signage