Fairground rides and attractions

Please make sure you ask your suppliers for valid and in date copies of their: 

  • Public Liability Insurance
  • Amusement Device Inspection Procedures Scheme (ADIPS): initial test and annual check certificates, to prove that the rides are well maintained and fit for purpose. (ADIPS are inspection schemes recognised by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE)). The purpose of the scheme is to promote best practice and improve fairground and amusement park safety through annual inspection of the amusement devices. It is overseen by the Amusement Device Safety Council (ADSC)
  • Showmen’s Guild Insurance  

All activities must be supervised at all times and suitably barriered to direct the public away from any hazards such as generators, fans etc. The operator should have a suitable and sufficient Risk Assessment to cover the operation of the ride/attraction and this should include details of annual checks, set up and in use checks and details of how weather conditions will be monitored to ensure compliance. 

Further information on fairgrounds

Inflatables including bouncy castles

Please make sure you ask your inflatable/bouncy castle operator(s) or supplier(s) for valid and in date copies of: 

  • Public Liability Insurance Certificate
  • PIPA  or ADIPS  initial test and annual check certificates, to prove that the rides are well maintained and fit for purpose. (PIPA and ADIPS are inspection schemes recognised by the HSE). A PIPA certificate means that an inflatable has been designed to recognised standards, the equipment is tested annually by a qualified inspector and it is approved for commercial use. The PIPA tag on the inflatable should show the number and suitable operating conditions including wind speeds. 

You should also include suitable and sufficient risk assessment to cover the operation of the inflatable(s) which must include:

  • details of annual checks
  • set up and in use checks
  • details of how weather conditions will be monitored to ensure compliance
  • details of what actions will be taken as wind increases, to ensure any additional risks from the wind are suitably managed
  • evidence that the equipment meets and is operated in line with the British Standard BS EN14960 (play equipment purchased from other countries may not comply with this standard)

All inflatables such as bouncy castles must be fully anchored to the ground, as per manufacturer’s instructions, at all times, regardless of the weather conditions. All the anchor points on the inflatable should be used. Children and adults can be seriously hurt when inflatables aren’t securely anchored.  Please do not use trees, bins, benches etc. to secure inflatables. Records of the operator’s inflatable set up and in use checks should be available for inspection at the event.

Inflatables must be supervised at all times by a responsible person aged over 18 to monitor and control the behaviour of users and to ensure that adults/older children do not use the inflatable at the same time. Hazards such as generators, fans should not be accessible to the public. 

Further details and guidance on how to safely operate inflatables.

Car boot sales

In general car boot sales are not allowed on Council community greenspace sites.

Firework, laser and pyrotechnic displays

Only in exceptional cases where organisers can demonstrate the appropriateness of firework displays and the necessary safety measures are in place will fireworks be permitted.

Special effects and pyrotechnics may present additional hazards and must be carefully planned and a risk assessment carried out. It is important that they are all installed and operated in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions and stored in accordance with approved arrangements. They should be arranged so as to minimise any risk to the public, performers and staff. Specific warning notices advising the public of the effects to be used must be displayed in appropriate places so that the public can read them.

You must discuss special effects with our licensing team: especially lasers, smoke machines, dry ice, pyrotechnics, strobe lighting, fire breathing and fireworks.

Aircraft, hot air balloons, hovercraft and model aircraft

Any event application involving these craft must allow significant time for consultation on the complex issues involved. As event organiser you are also responsible for complying with Civil Aviation Authority regulations.

Balloon and lantern releases

We do not allow multi-balloon or framed sky lantern releases from council land in Poole on environmental and wildlife protection grounds. This includes bio-degradable latex and foil balloons.


If you are having music at your event it may be necessary to conduct a sound check to assess acceptable noise levels and take any measures to minimise disruption to the local community.

This may involve advice from our noise pollution team. You can contact them by email at or telephone 01202 261700.

Performing rights

The council is obliged to declare all musical performances taking place as part of an event to the Performing Rights Society (PRS). This includes both live and pre-recorded music. We use the information that you provide to help make our annual declaration.

Large events, which have their own event licence will have to get their own PRS.

Page last updated: 05 June 2019
Help us improve
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.