Access to Leisure and Learning

2. How you qualify for the scheme

If you live in the BH postcode area and receive one of the following benefits you will qualify for the scheme:

  • Tax credits (Working Tax Credits combined with Child Tax Credits, Child Tax Credits only or Working Tax Credits combined with disability element). Household gross annual income from your current award letter should be £16,385 or less. Use your most recent award letter - if this is for the current financial year, your income will be estimated and will be accepted.
  • Housing or Council Tax Support
  • Income Support or Guarantee Pension Credit (not savings credit)
  • Job Seekers Allowance (income based)
  • Universal Credit

If you receive any of the above benefits, then child dependents (still in education, either mainstream or further education, studying either A-levels or NVQ's level 3, up to and including age 19) living with the benefit claimant, can also join as part of the family application.

You can also apply if you receive any of these other benefits:

  • Job Seekers Allowance (contribution based)
  • NHS HC2 Certificate
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Incapacity Benefit - Higher or Long Term Rate
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Industrial Injuries Benefit
  • Carer's Allowance
  • War Disablement Pension
  • Social Services Cardholders
  • Full-time student in further or higher education - aged 16 or over
  • Modern Apprenticeship

Family memberships

These are restricted to people who have one of the first five benefits listed in the 'How you qualify for the scheme' section above and are only available when all family members apply at the same time.

The named benefit claimant must be present when you enrol.

The membership can include a spouse/partner and dependent children still in education (either mainstream or further education, studying either A levels or NVQ's level 3, up to and including age 19) provided they are all living with the main applicant.

Children under 3 years will not be issued with their own card at an enrolment centre but their names and dates of birth should appear on the application.

All online applicants including those under 3 will receive their own card.

If you have been issued with a letter confirming you are eligible for free school meals this will be accepted as proof of eligibility for a family membership.


If you are a carer, you can apply for a card if you:

  • are receiving Carers Allowance
  • have had a Carers Assessment by Social Services and have been issued with a referral letter

Helper entitlement

If you are receiving one of the disability benefits and you need help accessing activities, you can have a helper accompany you. Please ensure when applying for your membership, that you ask about ‘helper entitlement’ or tick the appropriate box on the online application.

Looked after children

All looked after children must be resident with a BH postcode. Foster families registered with us can also apply. Social services will provide you with a referral letter.

Group memberships

These are available to residential homes, day centres and special schools whose service users need support to take part in activities. They must also be eligible to join the scheme for example, that they live within the 'BH' postcode district and are in receipt of one of the benefits listed in the qualifying criteria.

Group membership enables up to 20 people (including the appropriate staff ratio) to visit, for example, a Leisure Centre and receive a discount off the standard charge per person.

To apply, please complete the group membership online application form.

Group Membership Terms and Conditions can be found on the terms and conditions page.

Page last updated: 03 September 2020
Help us improve
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.