Planning enquiries

Interactive house guide

The Planning Portal have provided an interactive house guide containing information to householders on Planning and Building regulations for common household developments.

Planning permission to extend or alter a flat or maisonette

Flats or maisonettes do not have any permitted development rights and therefore planning permission will be required. All extensions and external alterations (including changing windows and hard standings) will require planning permission.

Planning permission for internal alterations

You do not need to apply for planning permission for any building works that are entirely within the home and have no effect on the external appearance of the house e.g.: removal of internal walls, although Building Regulations may be required. However if the property is listed, you will require Listed Building Consent. If the internal alterations are to change the property from a dwelling house to flats/maisonettes/bed sits you will require planning permission to change the use.

Planning permission for gates, fences, and walls

Gates, fences and walls will not require planning permission unless the structures; are higher than 1 metre when next to a highway, are higher than 2 metres elsewhere; your home is a listed building. If your home is a listed building you will need to also apply for Listed Building Consent. If an Article 4 Direction covers your home you may require planning permission. If you live in a Conservation Area you may need planning permission to demolish your front wall if it is over 1m. 

Planning permission to install a hard standing drive or patio

You may need to apply for planning permission to build a hard standing drive or patio if your home is a house. Further information on patios and drives is available from the Planning Portal.

Planning permission for small businesses

The Planning Portal provides some basic small businesses guidance to the procedures of the planning system and how to apply for planning permission. 

If your house is overshadowed or overlooked

Sometimes people are troubled by the feeling that the privacy of their homes or gardens has been harmed, as new buildings nearby allow strangers to see in or overshadow them. The DCLG issue factsheets on overshadowing and overlooking.

Finding out if a tree is protected

There are at least 3 main ways that the council can protect trees:

  • the tree(s) can be protected by its inclusion within a Tree Preservation Order (TPO)
  • trees located within a conservation area designated under the provisions of the planning (listed buildings and conservation areas) Act 1990 are protected
  • trees can be protected by means of a condition attached to a planning permission

To find out if a tree is protected, please search the address on our Tree Preservation Orders map.

Requiring permission to display an advertisement

There are certain categories of signs and advertisements that have 'deemed consent' that is an application need not be submitted to the council for permission. However the law is complicated and to help people understand the law a booklet has been published by the government that provides details. This booklet may be downloaded from the government's own website.

Starting to use or build something without getting the necessary planning permission

The council are able to take enforcement action against unauthorised development that causes harm to the amenity of the area. In other circumstances an application for retrospective planning permission may be appropriate. For further details, please see our planning enforcement policy page.

Requiring building regulation approval although planning permission is not required

Most domestic works will require building regulations approval. Not getting approval for works at the time could cost you more in the long run. 

Obtaining proof that planning permission is not required

Solicitors can request proof that planning permission isn’t required and it is recommended that you apply for a Certificate of Lawful Development. This can be for development that has already taken place (CLEUD) or for a new proposal (CLOPUD). Alternatively, the council may have correspondence that confirms planning permission was not required which can be copied for you or you can request formal written confirmation from Planning Design & Control Services by submitting a ‘Permitted Development Enquiry’. Further information including charges can be obtained from our permitted development pages.

Obtaining an appeal decision

Planning appeal decisions can be obtained direct from the Planning Inspectorate at:

The Planning Inspectorate 
Temple Quay House 
1 The Square
Temple Quay 

Tel: 0117 3728627

Remember to quote the planning inspectorates reference and/or the site address. Visit the Planning Inspectorate for more information. 

Submitting a detailed site location plan

We require an accurate and up-to-date site location plan to ease identification of your site and surrounding streets. It ensures that we visit the correct location, notify the correct neighbours and avoid any unnecessary delays. 

How planning fees are set

Planning fees are set and reviewed by central government and in most cases do not cover the costs of reaching a decision. Further information may be obtained from the Planning Portal.

Objecting to a planning application

You can write to the relevant case officer quoting the unique reference number or comment on an application online. Please note that all letters received relating to an application are public documents and will be available to the public on the Planning ‘working file’ and web site. Personal information such as signature, telephone number and email address are concealed before publication on the web site. We do not acknowledge any comments. To object online, please visit our online planning applications page

Valid factors considered when making an objection

Objections can only be considered on the grounds of material planning issues such as:

  • the appearance and character of the area or street, including the design and materials of buildings, landscaping and tree loss
  • other environmental issues (for example noise)
  • traffic generation and road safety
  • employment and the local economy
  • impact on public services
  • effects on the landscape and the need to protect open land in the Green Belt, or for agriculture
  • impact of a building on its neighbours (for example in terms of privacy)

Invalid factors not included when considering an objection

The following list is by no means exhaustive. The most common non-planning issues raised in objection letters are:

  • the personal circumstances of the applicant as sometimes put in support of an application. These will seldom outweigh the more general planning considerations
  • the fact that development may have already begun (if permission is refused the Council has powers to have the matter rectified)
  • “trade objections” from potential competitors
  • moral arguments (for instance, opposition to betting shops or amusement arcades)
  • the loss of an attractive view from private property
  • the fear that an objector’s house might be devalued
  • the fact that the applicant does not own the land
  • allegations that a proposal might affect private rights, such as restrictive covenants, rights of way, or “ancient lights” (these are usually private matters on which objectors may need to get legal advice

Obtaining location and block plans

The Borough of Poole are able to supply location and block plans to use as part of your application submission. However, there is a charge to cover Ordnance Survey copyright fees and staff time. Further information may be obtained from the Planning Portal.

Requirements to be notified of a planning application

The government has set out in regulations what minimum notification should include. The Council has decided to notify all occupiers who share a common boundary with the application site. This would not normally include those occupiers who live on the other side of a highway or are separated from the application site by a footpath etc. However following a review of notification the LPA will now consult properties across the road, unless the proposal involves householder development only and the works proposed are solely to the rear.

Site notice requirements

Site notices are only required in specific instances, For example where the proposal affects a Conservation Area, a Listed Building, or is a "major" application. There is no general requirement to put up site notices where neighbours can be identified by address and there is no other need to do so. The LPA will, however, consult adjoining flatted blocks of 10 or more units by means of a site notice. If less than 10 individual letters will be sent. 

Finding out about Greener Homes and Micro-Generation

Guidance for householders about greener homes and micro-generation is available from the Planning Portal. The guidance provides advice on planning and building regulation matters for green energy projects and energy saving.

Page last updated: 05 August 2019
Help us improve
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.