Coronavirus (COVID-19): Latest information and advice about the Coronavirus in Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole, including updates on services.

Make a planning application

It helps to include everything that we require with your application. If you do not, we will need to contact you to request missing items which will delay your application.

Our planning advice note on validation requirements is available for details of the national and local validation requirements.

Find the validation checklist for your proposal, it lists the plans and supporting documents that you need to include.

If your proposal will affect a listed building, conservation area or other heritage asset you will need to submit a heritage statement. Our heritage statement guidance note is available for details of what you need to consider and include in your statement.

Submit your application, plans and supporting documents

You can start an online application on the planning portal or you can download a paper form on the planning portal.

The Planning Portal have an interactive house guide which shows you planning and building regulations for common household developments.

You need to submit the plans, supporting documents and pay the fee at the same time as you submit your form. Any plans submitted online or by email need to be in PDF format.

If making a paper application you need to send two copies of the paper form, plans and supporting documents and post to the BCP Council office for the town that the application site is located in. We need to scan your documents when we get them. Please don't have them bound or put them in plastic covers.


The Planning Portal have a guide to the fees for planning applications, and a planning application fee calculator.

If you use the Planning Portal to submit your application, you must pay your fee to them when you make your application. You can pay them with a credit or debit card when you apply online or over the phone by contacting the Planning Portal directly. It is also possible to pay by cheque or bank transfer. Please note that your application will not be released to us until after any application fee has been paid and the Planning Portal also include a service fee.

If you are submitting a paper application form you will need to pay us directly.

Developer contributions

Find out if your proposed development is subject to developer contributions.

Page last updated: 05 July 2019
Help us improve
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.