Boundary walls

If you intend carrying out work which involves:

  • work on an existing wall shared with another property
  • building on the boundary with a neighbouring property
  • excavating near a neighbouring building

You must check if the proposed work comes under the Party Wall etc. Act 1996. If it does you must notify all of your neighbours affected by the proposals.

You do not need to make a submission to construct a boundary wall providing it does not form part of the building.

The Act requires you to inform adjoining owners, even if the work you intend to do is exempt under Building Regulations. An explanatory leaflet about the Act is available.

This Act is not controlled by us or the local authority, but does provide a framework for preventing disputes in relation to party walls, boundary walls and excavations near neighbouring buildings.

We recommend that all free-standing walls are constructed in accordance with Building Research Establishment Document GBG14.

You can also download the retaining walls advisory notes.

Page last updated: 14 April 2020
Help us improve
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.