Local people are being invited to give their views on the provision of services for adults with learning disabilities, as public consultation on The Big Plan 2017 begins.
The Big Plan 2017 sets out how Borough of Poole and Bournemouth Borough Council will work together to provide health and social care services for adults with learning disabilities from 2017 to 2020. The Plan is out for public consultation from 3 July to 22 September 2017.
In 2015, the population of people in Dorset aged 18-64 and living with a learning disability was estimated at around 10,500. This included people with a mild, moderate, or severe learning disability. Many live independent lives without the need for specialist support, but a significant number rely on a range of information, advice and support services to maintain their independence in the community, with over 2,000 people requiring specialist health and social care support and/or services.
The Big Plan 2017 puts forward the important areas for development across learning disability services for both local authorities, Dorset Clinical Commissioning Group and NHS Bournemouth and Poole for the period 2017-2020.
Anyone can give their views as part of the public consultation, including:
- A person with a learning disability
- A carer, or person who has someone in their family with a learning disability
- A person who works with people with a learning disability
- A private business or not-for-profit organisation that supports people with a learning disability, or their carers
The Big Plan 2017 and supporting information is now available on our website, where you can also download an easy read questionnaire to fill in and return by post.
Two drop-in sessions, where people can come and talk about the Big Plan 2017 with the project team and take part in the consultation are also being held:
Poole Big Plan Meeting
- Date: Thursday 10 August 2017, 10:30 am to 3:00 pm
- Venue: The Spire High Street, Poole, BH15 1DF
Bournemouth Big Plan Meeting
- Date: Wednesday 16 August 2017, 10:30 am to 3:00 pm
- Venue: Bournemouth Life Centre, 713 Wimborne Rd, Bournemouth BH9 2AU
Please remember the consultation closes on Friday 22 September 2017, after which feedback will be presented to the Pan Dorset Learning Disability Joint Commissioning and Transforming Care Partnership Board.
For further information or any queries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01202 261039.