Local people on Poole’s Housing Register could be moving a step closer to finding a family home, with over 170 new affordable homes either finished or under construction across the town.
The latest development to be completed is six new houses on Gascony Place, off Anjou Close in Bearwood, built in partnership with Stonewater and due to welcome residents for the first time this month.
A further 169 affordable homes are also planned at five further sites across the borough. Affordable homes are intended to provide good quality housing for people in need of a home who are unable to pay a mortgage or rent at higher market rates.
Some of the new properties will be offered for Shared Ownership, giving residents the chance to buy a share of their home and pay rent on the remaining share, with others being affordable rented homes.
The full list of sites is as follows:
• Holes Bay Road – 46 flats in partnership with Sovereign Housing Association
• Arndale Court, Wimborne Road – 27 flats in partnership with Sovereign Housing Association and Holton Homes
• Lagland Street, Poole Town Centre – 19 flats in partnership with Stonewater
• Canford Heath Road – 62 flats in partnership with Poole Housing Partnership. Six of these will be specialist homes designed to provide independent living for disabled people
• Chichester Walk, Merley – 14 houses and one flat in partnership with Sovereign Housing Association
Cllr Karen Rampton, Cabinet Portfolio Holder for Housing, said: “We are firmly committed to delivering more affordable housing in Poole - with almost 1,000 families on the housing register it is vital that we continue to make this a top priority. I am delighted to see us moving forward at pace with such a range of developments, all of which will provide homes for local families.”
Construction is now underway at all sites, with the exception of Chichester Walk which is due to begin later this year. It is hoped that all the new homes will be ready to welcome local families during 2018/19, and Borough of Poole is continuing to work with local housing associations and other partners to help deliver more affordable housing across the town.