Discounts for disabled people

Your Council Tax bill may be reduced if you live in a property where changes have been made to help a resident child or adult who has a disability. 

The Council Tax for the property will be charged at the rate of the band below it. For example, if the property is at band C, then the Council Tax payable will be at band B rate. 

See Council Tax bands and charges for band information.

A reduction is also available for band A properties.  

You can apply for disabled relief if the person with the disability lives in the property as their main home and the property meets at least one of these criteria:

  • additional bathroom or kitchen for the use of the person with the disability
  • a room is used for a special purpose, for example, dialysis
  • enough space to permit the use of a wheelchair required for meeting the needs of the person with the disability. If the wheelchair is not used indoors, this criteria cannot be met

Apply for a discount

To apply for a discount, please complete our form.

You will need:

  • Your Council Tax account number


If you need help applying, please call us on 0345 034 4569 and we can support you through the process.

Page last updated: 24 March 2021
Help us improve
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.