Carers and care workers

Carers and care workers may be disregarded for Council Tax as long as they meet the eligibility criteria.

A carer must be:

  • Providing care for a person who is entitled to one of the following benefits:
  • the highest or middle rate of the Care Component of Disability Living Allowance under S72 of the Social Security Contributions and Benefits Act 1992
  • the lower rate or higher of the Attendance Allowance
  • the standard or enhanced rate of Daily Living Component of the Personal Independence Payment as defined by the Personal Independence Payment (Supplementary Provisions and Consequential Amendments) Regulations 2013
  • an increase in the rate of disablement pension under S104 of the above act
  • an increase in the constant attendance allowance under the above act
  • an armed forces independence payment
  • a resident in the same building as the person being cared for 
  • providing care for at least 35 hours a week on average

A carer must not be:

  • a disqualified relative of the person being cared for (spouse/civil partner or parent of a child below 18)

Or a carer must be:

  • a resident carer providing care or support employed by the crown
  • a charity or a local authority
  • employed for at least 24 hours per week
  • paid no more than £44 per week


To apply, please complete our form.

You will need:

  • Your Council Tax account number


If you need help applying, please call us on  0345 034 4569 and we can support you through the process.

Page last updated: 24 March 2021
Help us improve
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.