Council Tax bands and charges

Find out which Council Tax band your property is in, how to appeal if you think the band is wrong and how much you have to pay.

Council Tax harmonisation

Historically, the amount of Council Tax you paid for your council services differed, based on whether you lived in Bournemouth, Christchurch or Poole.

To address this issue in a way that is fair to all residents, BCP Council and the Government has agreed a process known as Council Tax harmonisation. This means that, over an agreed period of time, the 3 Council Tax levels within the BCP Council area will eventually become the same.

The process of Council Tax harmonisation for BCP Council is based on the following principles:

  • Council Tax levels levied by BCP Council will not exceed the maximum annual increase permitted by the Government
  • Council Tax bills for Christchurch households will be frozen or reduced until the harmonised rate is achieved across the entire BCP Council area

Bands and charges for the other BCP areas

Check what band you're in

Find out the Council Tax band for a home in Poole by looking up its postcode or address.

Some of our online Council Tax services are temporarily unavailable due to planned maintenance. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.


Poole BCP Council Tax 2020/21


 BCP Council £

 Police £

Fire £

 Poole Charter Trustee £

 Total £

Proportion of Band D 

 Band A  997.87  160.39  50.91  1.43  1,210.60  6/9
 Band B  1,164.19  187.12  59.39  1.66  1,412.36  7/9
 Band C  1,330.50  213.85  67.88  1.90  1,614.13  8/9
 Band D  1,496.81  240.58  76.36  2.14  1,815.89  9/9
 Band E  1,829.43  294.04  93.33  2.62  2,219.42  11/9
 Band F  2,162.06  347.50  110.30  3.09  2,622.95  13/9
 Band G  2,494.68  400.97  127.27  3.57  3,026.49  15/9
 Band H  2,993.62  481.16  152.72  4.28  3,631.78  18/9

The overall increase for the Poole area in 2020/21 is 3.9%.

Council Tax bands and charges information for BCP Poole for 2019/20 is also available.

Appeal if you think your Council Tax band is wrong

Contact the Valuation Office Agency for advice.

If you appeal, you must continue to pay your Council Tax until your appeal is decided.

Page last updated: 24 February 2021
Help us improve
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.