Newtown ward is located in the east of Poole and shares boundaries with Alderney, Canford Heath East, Oakdale, Parkstone and Branksome West wards. In the east of the ward are the industrial areas of Mannings Heath Industrial Estate and Newtown Business Park, as well as the Tower Park leisure complex. Ashley Road is the second largest local centre in Poole after the Town Centre. Ashley Road runs along the southern boundary.
- in 2011 the resident population of Newtown ward was 12,515 people with 5,300 households
- this area has a much larger population density with the number of people per hectare being 41.5 compared to 22.8 in Poole as a whole
- Newtown ward has on average a younger aged resident population than Poole with an average age of 39.5 compared to 42.1
- in this ward there are a greater proportion of households that socially rent their accommodation from the council compared to Poole as a whole
- a greater proportion of lone parent households with dependent children reside in this area and also there is a greater proportion of households with no adults in employment with dependent children in Newtown ward
- the proportion of the economically active population aged 16-74 who are unemployed is higher in Newtown ward than in Poole. Amongst the economically inactive population, 4.6% are classed as being long term sick or disabled compared with 3.3% in Poole
- most residents in this area are employed in skilled trades occupations and there is a greater concentration of residents employed in the wholesale and retailing sector when compared to Poole
- residents of this ward are less qualified than Poole overall with 27.1% having no qualifications compared to 21.4% in Poole
More details about the Newtown ward 2011 Census Area Profile here.
Page last updated: 22 February 2019