Merley and Bearwood ward is located in the north of Poole and shares boundaries with Broadstone, Canford Heath West and Alderney wards. There are 2 main residential areas in this ward, Merley to the west and Bearwood to the south east. Much of the ward is covered by green space, with Canford Heath, one of the largest remaining heath lands in Dorset, and a Site of Special Scientific Interest, covering much of the south of the ward.
- in 2011 the resident population of Merley and Bearwood ward was 10,392 people with 4,136 households
- this area has a much small population density with the number of people per hectare being 6.3 compared to 22.8 in Poole as a whole
- there are is a greater proportion of residents in Merley and Bearwood ward that provide unpaid care for a friend or relative than in Poole
- owner occupation in Merley and Bearwood ward is higher than Poole overall. In this area there are a greater proportion of household spaces in detached houses than in Poole as a whole
- there is greater proportion of households that have access to three or more cars or vans in this area compared to Poole overall
- the proportion of the economically active population aged 16-74 who are unemployed is lower in Merley and Bearwood ward than in Poole. Amongst the economically inactive population, 19.2% are classed as being retired compared with 16.1% in Poole
- most residents in this area are employed in professional occupations and there is a greater concentration of residents employed in the education sector when compared to Poole
- residents of this ward are more qualified than Poole overall with 28.4% having qualifications at Level 4 or above compared to 25.5% in Poole
More details about the Merley and Bearwood ward 2011 census area profile.
Page last updated: 11 June 2019