How to see your personal information

Under the Data Protection Act 2018 and General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) you have the right to request all personal data that the council holds about you by making a subject access request.

You can make a request to access your personal information by:

Before you do please take the time to read the information provided on this page.

What information do I need to provide?

A clear, specific request

We will only be able to start working on your subject access request once you have provided enough information for us to locate your personal data. For example, a request for 'all of the personal data held on me' is not specific enough for us to find your personal data.

We process personal information for many reasons, in lots of different teams, using different computer systems. If you can specify the information you are seeking by telling us which council departments you have dealt with or a member staff, we can locate your information quickly.

If you are only looking for information for a specific period in time, please advise us, as this may speed up our response. If you are requesting social care information then please provide details of any family members who were also involved with social care. This will allow us to conduct a more thorough search of our social care records and allow us to provide you with more information

Proof of Identity

We takes great care to ensure that personal data is only disclosed to those who are authorised to access it. For this reason, you may need to provide a form of ID to confirm your details, especially your address to ensure that your personal data is being posted to the right place. If you would rather pick up your data by hand, then please let us know. We accept birth certificate, driving licence or passport. Photocopies are acceptable, please don’t send originals.


We do not charge a fee for this service.

How long do I have to wait to get my information?

Once we have received your request, we may contact you if proof of identity is needed. When we have enough information to action it, we must give you the information within a calendar month. If your files are very large, we may extend this period but we will write and let you know.

Will I receive all the information about me?

Sometimes, your personal information may contain information about other individuals. This is referred to as ‘third party information’. This may be information about family members, carers, friends, your doctor, your solicitor etc. You are only permitted to access information about you. We may have to withhold or edit information, so that it does not identify third parties.

Can I make a request for someone else?

Yes. We will need to be absolutely sure that you are authorised by them to make the request. Proof must be in writing and signed by that person. If a person is too young, parents or carers can make the application on behalf of the child. However, disclosure of information will only occur if it is in the best interests of the child. If a child is over 12 years old, you will need their signed consent. If a person lacks mental capacity, the council would normally require a lasting/enduring power of attorney, which we will ask to see a copy of, before we disclose any information.

CCTV images/footage

If you want access to CCTV information you will need to use the special CCTV application form. CCTV images are only held for a limited time, so don’t delay an application.

Your rights under the Data Protection Act 2018 (which includes GDPR)

For more information on your rights under The Data Protection Act 2018 and GDPR please see The Information Commissioners website

Our Data Protection Officer, Vivian Bateman will investigate any complaint you may have regarding our application of the law. Please write to the Information Governance Team at the address below. If you are still unhappy you can request the Information Commissioner to assess whether any provision of the Data Protection Act 2018 has been contravened by us.

If you think the information held about you is wrong/right to be forgotten

The Data Protection Act 2018 gives you the right to have inaccurate data about yourself corrected or even removed under the right to be forgotten.
If you believe that any of the information held by the council is inaccurate or should be removed, please contact the Information Governance Team in writing at the address below.

Customer Services
BCP Council
Town Hall

Page last updated: 17 October 2019
Help us improve
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.