Citizens Advice consumer service (Citizens Advice CS) is the first point of contact for all Poole residents seeking consumer advice. They work in partnership with our Trading Standards service.
Please contact Citizens Advice CS on 0808 223 1133 (free from landlines and mobiles). Lines open 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday, closed on public holidays.
If you wish to seek advice, or make a complaint about:
- goods or services that you have bought
- a scam
- a company that you believe is trading unfairly
Working in partnership with Citizens Advice CS
Citizens Advice consumer service (Citizens Advice CS) work in partnership with us and liaise closely with our Trading Standards service.
They may refer some Poole residents to us for further advice, where:
- a consumer may be considered to be vulnerable
- the law is complex
If you contact Citizens Advice CS, and your case is referred, we may contact you by telephone, email, or letter, depending on the situation.
All other consumer advice is offered on a self-help basis.
Citizens Advice CS can:
- advise you which law covers your contract and how this affects your legal rights
- supply you with sample letters on which you can base your own to a trader with whom you have a dispute
- inform our enforcement team where there appears to be a breach of criminal law such as false or misleading descriptions
If there are criminal breaches of law that we can investigate, you will still need to pursue your own civil claim. This is because criminal and civil laws in the UK work independently. This means that we cannot take a trader to court on your behalf. We can only take traders to task for criminal breaches of law which affect the community as a whole.
If you need to contact Citizens Advice CS you will need to have all your paperwork with you that is relevant to the issue that you are enquiring about.
keep all original documents and items in a safe place in case they are needed in the future.
Buy With Confidence
Buy With Confidence is an approved trader scheme supported by the Borough of Poole to help you find reliable and trustworthy tradespeople to make improvements and repairs to your home.
Get Scam Wise!
Do not get caught out by scams or sharp practice. Read about the latest scams and alerts.
Guidance available at Citizens Advice.
Advice on other matters such as benefits or debt
You can contact Poole Citizens Advice Bureau or you may find the information you need at www.citizensadvice.org.uk.
Self-help consumer guidance
There are some excellent websites providing consumer guidance in the form of factsheets on a wide variety of subjects from buying a used car to a double glazing installation:
- Citizens Advice consumer service
- European Consumer Centre: may be able to give you advice and information on your rights as a consumer in the European Union, and help you to solve problems with goods and services that you may have bought there
- The Joint Contracts Tribunal: an organisation that will provide a standard contract form for a small fee. The contract form will be appropriate for large building works such as an extension. This form of written contract may prevent misunderstandings between parties in the future. The form will set out: the work to be done; the price of the work and payment schedule; which party will be applying for planning permission, and the access contractors will have on site
Scam awareness in British Sign Language
A film called 'Watch Out! Scam Awareness' has been created to warn the deaf community to be on their guard against fraudsters who may try to contact them via the internet. The film contains a series of crime prevention messages delivered in British Sign Language, along with subtitles and voice overs. It was created after police became aware of the fact that the deaf community are deliberately being targeted by online fraudsters, often through social networking sites, and are being conned into handing over their savings.
Page last updated: 06 February 2020