Coronavirus (COVID-19): Latest information and advice about the Coronavirus in Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole, including updates on services.

Street collection licence

It is illegal to hold a collection in a street or public place in Poole, to collect money or sell articles for the benefit of charitable or other purposes, without first obtaining a street collection licence from us. A public place is a 'place where the public has access'. Whilst the majority of collections involve the collection of money, consent is also required if the collection involves the sale of articles. A return form (to include total proceeds collected) must be completed within one month of the collection taking place and this form is sent to you with the licence.


Local Authorities issue street collection licences under Section 5 of the Police, Factories, etc. (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1916, as amended by the Local Government Act 1972 and Schedule 29 of that Act. The purpose of the legal requirement to obtain consent is to ensure collectors are properly authorised and that money is collected in a secure way and the total proceeds collected are properly accounted for.

Who can apply

Street collections are usually made by, or on behalf of, charities. Consents are restricted to enable charities to raise money without their collections clashing with those of other charities.  There is no cost for the issuing of consent but there are rules to be followed in applying and regulations which govern this type of collection (please see the application form and supporting notes for further details).

How to apply

To apply for this licence:

We are unable to accept this form by email because it must have a signature. Please print the form, sign it and return it to:

Environmental Services
Unit 1
Newfields Business Park
2 Stinsford Road
BH17 0NF

There is no fee involved with this application.

Supporting notes are available or you can contact us by email ( or call us on 01202 261700.

If you would like information about a registered charity or the procedures involved in setting up or running a charity, please contact the Charity Commission.

Page last updated: 21 November 2019
Help us improve
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.