Coronavirus (COVID-19): change to service
On advice from the government regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19), we have suspended new driver applications and medicals, current licences will be extended by 6 months.
See further information about changes to services.
All Hackney carriage and private hire drivers must be licensed. The application process can take up to 6 weeks. All forms must be correctly completed or they will be returned to the applicant.
Application packs containing all necessary forms can be obtained from this page.
If you have difficulty accessing the application forms or require any assistance with your application please email the team with your name and contact details and an officer will get back to you within 3 working days.
All enquiries should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- be over 21 years of age
- be conversant in the English Language
- have identification of right to live and work in the UK
- have held a DVLA driving licence for a minimum of 12 months
- complete a Disclosure and Barring Service application (DBS)
- satisfy the DVLA group 2 medical criteria
- have passed the practical driving assessment within the previous 12 months
- have passed the safeguarding, disability and dementia awareness course
- completed the Poole zone Knowledge test
- be a ‘fit and proper’ person
Applicants must read, complete and return:
If you need assistance to complete the application forms, please contact our taxi licensing officer.
Applicants must undergo a knowledge test. This is a verbal test lasting approximately one hour. It consists of twenty questions designed to test your knowledge of roads and locations within the Borough of Poole.
You can view the full list of fees in the taxi licensing fees document.
- application fee of £55
- licence fee of £71 per annum, 3 year licence £182
- Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) £58
- Safeguarding, disability and dementia awareness course £45 - book online
- Practical driving assessment £50
- Additional Knowledge Test £37-50
- Medical certificate (payable to your doctor)
Page last updated: 06 August 2020