Explosives and fireworks licence

The new Explosives Regulations 2014 (ER 2014) came into force on 1st October 2014. They have replaced the Manufacture & Storage of Explosives Regulations (MSER).

From 1 October 2014 explosives registrations will no longer be issued. Any registrations valid on that date will be deemed to be a licence under the 2014 Regulations.

From 1 October 2014 new applicants must apply for a licence and may not store explosives until that licence is granted. The licence conditions must be complied with. The more explosives you wish to store, the stricter the conditions.

Guidance for firework retailers

We have prepared basic retailer guidance on fireworks licensing and storage. This is based on official guidance published by the Health & Safety Executive (HSE).

The full guidance applies to all sectors of the explosives industry and may be downloaded free of charge from the HSE website.

The HSE have published retailer guidance on storing and selling fireworks and a risk assessment check list.

Apply for an explosives licence

To apply for a licence for premises in the BCP Council area:

If you wish to transfer or vary an existing licence, please contact us.


The current statutory fees for firework and explosive licensing can be found in The Health and Safety and Nuclear (Fees) Regulations at the official GOV.UK legislation website (the fees are listed at the end of the legislation document in the schedules).

When you can sell fireworks

You can sell adult fireworks during these times:

  • 15 October to 10 November
  • 26 December to 31 December
  • the first day of Chinese New Year and the 3 days immediately before it
  • the day of Diwali and the 3 days immediately before it

An adult firework is defined as being any firework except for a cap, cracker snap (Christmas cracker), novelty match, party popper, serpent, throw-down or sparkler.

If you wish to sell adult fireworks to the general public at other times during the year you must obtains a special sales licence. This costs £500. This is in addition to obtaining a storage licence.

Selling outside the above dates without a licence is a criminal offence.

Further guidance can be found on the Business companion website.

Page last updated: 21 November 2019
Help us improve poole.gov.uk
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.