Animal movement licence

In the aftermath of the Foot and Mouth outbreak in 2001, a rigorous regime of licensing which controls the movement of a range of animals was introduced. The most common animals whose movements have to be licensed are sheep, pigs, cows and goats.

Licence conditions

The conditions which apply to these movements vary according to the type of animal, the destination and the type of trip. In addition, these conditions are constantly being altered and so it is important that you make yourself aware of the latest conditions when applying for a movement licence.

In certain conditions, all that is necessary is for you to complete the licence and forward the copies as laid down. The licences can be obtained from your local DEFRA (Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs) office. For Poole, this is the South West Regional Office. They can be contacted on 01392 266373 or by email

Page last updated: 08 February 2019
Help us improve
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.