Give notice of a marriage or civil partnership

Coronavirus (COVID-19): change to service

Following the latest coronavirus (COVID-19) advice from the government, small weddings and civil partnership ceremonies are allowed to take place with a limited number of guests.

See further information about changes to services.

The Notice of Marriage is the legal paperwork that you both have to complete before your civil marriage can take place.

When and where to give notice

You must give notice at least 28 days before you get married or enter a civil partnership. You have to book an appointment and then go to the Register Office to give notice.

You and your partner must give notice at the Register Office in the district that you’ve both lived in for at least 7 clear days. You will both need to attend the appointment.

Foreign citizens might have to give up to 70 days’ notice. To find out how much notice you might need to give, call us on 01202 633744.

Book an appointment to give notice

Book an appointment

Appointments are made on Stopfords appointment booking service. Find out how your data is used.

You can also book by calling  01202 633744.

Our address is:

The Register Office
The Guildhall
Market Street Poole
BH15 1NF

We are open Monday to Thursday from 9am to 4:30pm and Friday from 9am to 4:00pm.


Giving notice costs £35 each.

Documents to take to the Register Office

You’ll need to take:

  • a current passport (or full birth certificate may be acceptable)
  • original documentary evidence showing how any previous marriage(s) ended (decree absolute or death certificate) - if applicable
  • original documentary evidence showing how any previous name(s) were changed - if applicable
  • proof of residency showing your address

For proof of residency, you can bring:

  • a utilities bill (not more than 3 months from notice appointment)
  • a bank statement (not more than 1 month from notice appointment)
  • a Council Tax bill (not more than 1 year from notice appointment)

If you've been divorced or widowed:

A foreign divorce will usually be recognised in England and Wales if it was valid in the country where it took place. The registrar will check your overseas divorce documents and may have to get in touch with the General Register Office to confirm whether your marriage can go ahead.

If you do not have a passport and you were born after 1 January 1983, we will need to see your mother or father's passport or full birth certificate. 

If either of is not British or is a non-EU national, you need to bring evidence of your immigration status and a passport size photo of each of you.

If either of you is under 18, you’ll need consent from your parents or guardian. Each parent who is named on your birth certificate must give this consent. They’ll need to fill in a form which you can get from the Register Office. You must fill this in before your appointment.

Please contact us on 01202 633744or for further information.

Getting married or civil partnered quickly

You can only get married or have a civil partnership quickly if one of you is terminally ill and is not expected to recover.

For Church of England ceremonies, you must contact a clergyman of the Church of England.

For a civil marriage or civil partnership ceremonies please contact the Superintendent Registrar of the district where the terminally ill person is currently located. Call us on 01202 633744 to find out who this is.

Contact us


01202 633744

The Register Office
The Guildhall
Market Street
BH15 1NF

Opening times
Monday to Thursday: 9am to 4.30pm 
Friday: 9am to 4pm 

Page last updated: 24 September 2020