Re-register a birth

Coronavirus (COVID-19): change to service

Register offices remain closed while we work on making them safe to access. Please check our pages on birth registration for the latest service updates.

See further information about changes to services.

A child's birth must be re-registered if the biological parents have married each other since the birth of their child, under the Legitimacy Act 1976. 

You can also re-register a child's birth to add the biological father's details to the original registration.

How to re-register

If you want to re-register your child's birth, you'll need:

  • a completed re-registration form
  • a marriage certificate, if the biological parents have married each other, or
  • a re-registration form to add the father's details

You can get a re-registration form at your local register office or download a form from GOV.UK.

Both parents need to fill in and sign the re-registration form, then contact the Register Office in England or Wales to make a an appointment.

Contact us


01202 633744

Poole Registration Service
The Register Office
The Guildhall
Market Street
BH15 1NF

Opening times
Monday to Thursday: 9am to 4.30pm
Friday: 9am to 4pm

Page last updated: 03 June 2020
Help us improve
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.

Births, deaths, marriages and citizenship