Bulky household waste collection

The bulky waste service has reopened with collections beginning on Wednesday 1 July.

6. Household Duty of Care

If you are a householder, you are required to take reasonable steps to check that people removing waste from your premises are authorised to do so.

Before you let someone other than the council take waste away for you, you should:

  • ask the person taking the waste where it will be going and ask to see their Waste Carriers Licence. If they don’t have one, don’t use them
  • check whether they are registered by calling the Environment Agency on 03708 506506 for an instant waste carriers validation check, or by visiting the Environment Agency's public register of waste carriers
  • keep a record of any paperwork they give you, the dates you used them, their name, telephone number, and registration number so that if they do fly-tip your waste you will be able to pass their details to the council
  • report anyone who is not registered to the Environment Agency on 03708 506506

If the person who takes the waste from you is not authorised to do so, or your waste is illegally disposed of (e.g. fly-tipped), you could be prosecuted and fined if you have not taken all reasonable measures to meet your duty of care obligations.

Page last updated: 26 June 2020
Help us improve poole.gov.uk
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.