Find out when your bin and recycling collection days are.
Bin collection day finder
What you can put in your black bin
You can put the following items in your black bin:
- any household waste that can't be recycled
- bubble wrap
- cat litter, double bagged
- cling film
- crisp and sweet packaging
- disposable nappies
- dog poo, double bagged
- food and drink pouches
- food waste, doubled bagged - please compost if you can
What you can't put in your black bin
Please don't put in:
- commercial and business waste
- electrical items - please take to the tip or a recycling bank
- garden waste - put in your green binor take to the tip
- gas canisters - please take to the tip
- hazardous waste - please take to the tip
- hot ashes - please take to the tip
- liquid paint - please take to the tip
- oil - please take to the tip
- recyclable items - please put in your blue bin
- syringes and clinical waste - this is collected by Dorset Health Authority
- textiles - please take to the tip or a recycling bank
Using your black wheelie bin
- we’ll collect the contents of one closed wheelie bin, every 2 weeks
- put your black wheelie bin out for collection by 6am on your collection day
- make sure the bin is at the edge of your property, where the waste collection team can see it from the road and collect it easily
- make sure your bin lid is closed
- don’t put out any extra rubbish bags for collection
- if your bin is too heavy to be wheeled to the back of our collection vehicle then we can’t empty it
- take your bin back to your property as soon as possible after the collection
Most people have our standard 180L bin. You can check the size by looking on the plastic lip around the top of the bin.
If you still have a 140L bin, you can ask us for a 180L bin by calling 01202 261700, or keep it, if it's big enough for your waste.
Replacement bins are dependant on stock and demand. Residents requesting a bin swap should currently expect their bin to be swapped within six weeks.
If you can't put your bin out for collection due to a disability, you can ask us for an assisted collection. You should only ask if there is no one else at the property who can help. Phone us on 01202 261700 to ask for the service.
When we don't collect your bin
We collect bins during all bank holidays, except:
- Christmas Day
- Boxing Day
- New Year's Day
If you fill your black bin please take any additional waste to the tip.
Larger or additional bin request
You can apply for an additional bin if:
- your household has six or more permanent residents
- your household has five residents including a child in nappies
- your household has three or more children in nappies
- someone in your household has medical needs that create extra waste
We will only consider applications by phone on 01202 261700. Each will be considered on a case by case basis. A request does not guarantee you extra capacity.
Missing or damaged bin
If your bin is missing or badly damaged, you can call us on 01202 261700 to ask for a replacement.
If it's missing, please check that the bin is not nearby or at a neighbours house.
If it's damaged, please tell us if the damage is to the lid, wheels or main structure of the bin.
How to prevent pests
If flies don't get in contact with your rubbish to lay their eggs, you will not get maggots (the larva stage of common houseflies).
Following these guidelines should prevent you from getting maggots:
- reduce the amount of food waste that goes in the bin - tips can be found on the Love Food Hate Waste website
- ensure that your bin lid is kept closed
- never leave any food, including pet food, uncovered before it is placed in the bin
- if possible, rinse any food packaging that cannot be recycled to reduce the risk of smells which may attract flies
- ensure food waste is double-bagged with bags tied tightly and put in the bin as soon as possible
- if possible, store your wheeled bin out of direct sunlight as the sun will warm up the bin, increasing the risk of smells and attracting flies
If maggots do get into your bin, the problem should be solved when it's emptied.
If this doesn't solve the problem:
- pour a little boiling water or salt into the bin
- use a cleaning product with a fragrance to deter further flies from your bin
Some private companies offer a bin cleaning service, but this is not something we currently offer.
Page last updated: 22 March 2018