Temporary Accommodation & Gypsy Traveller Site privacy notice

The Temporary Accommodation & Gypsy Traveller Site Service consists of Housing Management, including Business and Operations team. 

This document explains how your information will be held about you and processed by the Housing Landlord service. You can also find out about the General Data Protection Regulations and Data Protection Act 2018 and your rights

This page contains information about:

  • Who we are
  • Why we collect your personal information
  • The legal basis for using your information 
  • Who we may share your information with
  • How you can access the information we hold about you
  • How long we keep information about you
  • Further information and Data Protection Officer

Who we are

Borough of Poole will be the Data Controller for the personal information you provide. Personal information can be anything that identifies and relates to a living person. This could be your name and contact details. As the Data Controller Borough of Poole, will use your information to provide you with our services and services from our contractors. 

Why we collect your personal information

We will collect enough personal information in order to provide you with services for the following purposes.

We hold names, dates of birth, photographic ID and information about your previous housing circumstances to assess your housing applications, to offer you a tenancy of accommodation and help prevent and detect tenancy fraud. 

We hold contact details for you so we can communicate with you by your preferred means, and keep you informed about services we offer which may be useful to you. We will also use this information to contact you so that we can arrange for services to be provided to you for example, repairs to your home. 

We record information about your needs (for example if you have a carer or social worker; if you need adaptations in your home; if you need large print or translated text) to ensure that we take account of any support needs in our dealings with you, and to improve our communications with you. 

We record information to enable us to provide housing management services. For example, we record reports of anti-social behaviour; complaints; change in circumstances (for example when your employment status changes etc.) and information about housing options (e.g. if you have a medical need which means you need to move). 

We keep financial records about the amount of money you have paid us; any amount(s) outstanding, action taken to recover money you owe and any reasons that you have told us about why you owe money. This may include other financial details that we have obtained from you so that we can make sure that you receive appropriate advice. 

We may hold information about you if you are engaged with support services. For example, if we support you to improve your financial circumstances, we may hold information about your household income and expenditure.

We may hold information about you if it is related to evidence that you have breached the terms of your tenancy. This may include anything you have said or done that could cause a nuisance to others. 

We may hold information about you if it is needed to ensure the health and safety of our staff, for example of you have a conviction for a violent offence or have been abusive or threatening towards our staff.

We record the findings of surveys and other research to help us improve our service to customers. The information you provide will be anonymous unless you agree that we can use your details. 

This list is not exhaustive, as we hold records of most contacts we have with you, or about you, and we process this information so we can deliver services to you. Generally, the information we hold will have been provided by you (on application or enquiry forms or when we communicate with you), but we may also hold information provided by third parties where this is relevant to your housing circumstances e.g. from social workers and health professionals (such as doctors and occupational therapists).

We will only ask for personal information that is appropriate to enable us to deliver our services. In some cases, you can refuse to provide your details if you deem a request to be inappropriate. However, you should note that this may impact our ability to provide some services to you if you refuse to provide information that stops us from doing so. 

We are not permitted to collect information we do not need or will not use. This document covers information you have provided direct to the Council and information which has been shared with us by other organisations.

If we don’t need your personal information we will either keep your details anonymous, if we already have it for another service or we won’t ask you for it. If we use your personal information for research or analysis, we will always keep your details anonymous or use a fake name.

We don’t sell your personal information to anyone else.

The legal basis for using your information 

According to the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) and the Data Protection Act 2018, we must have a reason to collect and use your information. 

This will be to:

  • deliver services and support you
  • enable us to manage the services we provide
  • train and manage our workers who deliver those services
  • investigate any worries or complaints you may have about our goods or services
  • check the quality of our goods and services
  • help with research and planning of new services.

There are a number of legal reasons why we need to collect and use your personal information. For this service:

Contract: you have entered into a contract with us for example a tenancy agreement. 

Legal obligation: it is required by law (1996 Housing Act, 2017 Homelessness Reduction Act, The Care Act 2014, The Housing Act 2004, The Children’s Act 2004, Anti-Social, Crime and Policing Act 2014, Crime and Disorder Act 1998)

Vital interests: the processing is necessary to protect someone’s life or protect them from harm.

Public task: the processing is necessary for us to perform a task in the public interest or for our official functions, and the task or function has a clear basis in law.

Our service also needs to use sensitive personal data also called “special category data” which requires more protection to keep it safe. This is often information you would not want to be widely known and is very personal to you. It includes:-

  • Sexuality or sexual heath
  • Religious or spiritual or philosophical beliefs
  • Ethnicity
  • Physical or mental health
  • Criminal history

We will take extra care of this data. The legal reason for us to collect and use this personal information is:

  • you, or your legal representative, have given explicit consent 
  • it is necessary to perform our statutory duties or it is required by law (1996 Housing Act, 2017 Homelessness Reduction Act, The Care Act 2014, Housing Act 2004, Environmental Protection Act 1990, Public Health Act 1936, The Children’s Act 2004, Anti-Social, Crime and Policing Act 2014, Crime and Disorder Act 1998) or it is necessary for employment purposes 
  • it is necessary to protect someone in an emergency
  • you have made your information publicly available 
  • it is necessary for legal cases
  • it is to the benefit of society as a whole
  • it is necessary to deliver health or social care services or it is necessary to protect public health
  • it is necessary for archiving, research, or statistical purposes

Who we may share your information with

We use a range of organisations to either store personal information or to help deliver our services to you. Sometimes we have a legal duty to provide your personal information to other organisations, for example the court service or HMRC.

We may also share your personal information with these organisations 

  • Other Local Government departments including those in other Councils: Housing and Customer Services, Revenue and Benefits, Planning Services, Regulatory Services, Legal Services, Adult Social Care, Childrens Social Care, Safeguarding, Financial Services, Drug and Alcohol Statutory Team, Commissioning Services. 
  • Elected Members
  • Education Providers
  • Central and Regional Government Departments 
  • Healthcare Providers 
  • Social and Welfare Advisers or Practitioners
  • Youth Services to include Youth Offending Services
  • Dorset Healthcare University Foundation Trust
  • National Health Service
  • The Police and Criminal Justice System: National Probation & Prison Service, Community Rehabilitation Company, Dorset Police
  • Benefits Agency: Department of Work and Pensions
  • HM Customs and Revenue
  • Immigration Services
  • Housing Associations, Registered Providers
  • Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service
  • Our contracted service providers, for example those who carry out maintenance to your home. 

Your information will not be disclosed to any other organisations, except where we are required and allowed to by law.  

We may seek your consent if we are able to offer additional services which we believe are of benefit to you. This will be clearly communicated to you. We will only share your details with these organisations if we have your consent. We will not share your information otherwise.

Accessing the information we hold about you

You have the right to request, in writing, details of the information that is held about you and also the right to access a copy of the information. This may be by the Council providing copies of documents or by inviting you to view the records at one of its offices, if appropriate. Please see our webpage for further information about how to make a subject access request. 

Borough Of Poole will not charge a fee to access your information. Sometimes there may be information that we are not allowed to show you, such as

  • legal information or advice
  • crime prevention and detection records
  • information that we believe may be harmful to you and your well-being
  • details about or provided by other people – this is called third party information (e.g. information from the Police or Department for Work & Pensions)

You may also ask us to 

  • stop processing your information if this causes or might cause damage or distress
  • stop processing your information for direct marketing
  • make decisions about you using your information by automated means (e.g. using computers to decide on an entitlement)
  • amend any of your data which you feel is inaccurate. You can also ask for information to be blocked, erased or destroyed. 
  • transfer your information electronically to another service provider.
  • consider a claim for compensation for any damages caused by a breach of the Data Protection regulations.

If you give consent for us to use your information, you may withdraw this at any time. However, this may affect our ability to continue to provide you with a service.

How long we keep information about you

We will retain this information as stated in our retention schedule and in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulations, Data Protection Act 2018, Care Act 2014, Childrens Act 2004, Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014 and Housing Act 2004, Crime and Disorder Act 1988, Housing Act 1985. 

Further information 

If you have a concern about how we are using your information, we would ask you to contact us in the first instance using the address below: 

Customer Services
Civic Centre
BH15 2RU

Or by email information@poole.gov.uk 

Data Protection Officer

If you are not satisfied with a response to your concerns from the Service, our Data Protection Officer Vivian Bateman, can review any issues regarding Information Rights legislation if necessary. The Data Protection Officer can be contacted at the address below:

Data Protection Officer
Bournemouth & Poole Information Governance Team
Bournemouth Borough Council
Town Hall
BH2 6DY 

Information Commissioner

For further information about Information Rights legislation, please contact the Information Commissioner’s Office at www.ico.org.uk or by telephone 0303 123 1113.

Page last updated: 24 February 2020
Help us improve poole.gov.uk
This is just for feedback on our website, not comments or questions about our services. Feedback on services will not be passed on. To tell us anything else, contact us.

Please don't include any personal or financial information.